Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Review: Drugstore Mascaras

Hi guys and gals :-) So I (like a lot of makeup lovers) have a TON of mascaras. Anytime a new one comes out I go and get it...sometimes they live up to the hype...sometimes, a lot of the time, they don't. That's just the way it is. Because mascara is my #1 beauty product I CANNOT live without, I will always search for the "holy grail" of mascaras. I have a few that I absolutley LOVE and think are the greatest and I have a lot more that just fail to meet my expectations of what a mascara should be about. So here we go...enjoy :-)
First off is Rimmel Sexy Curves Full Volume & Curve Mascara in Black. I've tried this mascara out a few times now each time thinking "Maybe today I will really like this mascara" and each time I just don't :-( It does provide some length and it holds the curl okay but I hate the brush to being with. It's a nice concept but it doesn't work out they way I think Rimmel intended it to. It's too stiff and it pokes my eye each and every time. The formula I find to be a little bit watery...and this is the waterproof formula I'm using. I don't think it provides a whole lot of volume. It's a mascara that I would probably never buy again.
$3.49




Next I have this Hard Candy mascara called 1,000 Lashes Fiberized Lash Weave Mascara. The reason I got these 2 mascaras was because they are (supposed to be) colored. The "Lash Weave" caught my eye as well. First off the color pay off is horrible! The pic below is the purple one. The green one shows up a little bit better but definitley not as much as I would've hoped. Not a lot of length or volume...and it flakes. When you pull the brush out of the tube there are a whole bunch of fibers that I'm assuming are supposed to stick to your lashes to give them length...yeah...that doesn't happen at all. The fibers just stick the brush and don't do much of anything...definite PASS!!!
$6.00



This next mascara is Rimmel The Max Volume Flash Mascara in Black. I like the brush on this mascara because it's pretty big and wide. However...this formula isn't super great. The biggest flaw I found with this mascara is it clumps like no one's business... It has okay length and volume but the clumping and flaking is a deal breaker :-( That's 0 for 2 Rimmel...
$3.49




Next is Cover Girls Exact Eyelights and I have two colors: Black Gold and Black Ruby. These mascaras are supposed to have a hint of shimmer to make your eye color pop...yeah...no. I would choose the Cover Girl Lash Blast Luxe (in the pink tube) over this one. The length it provides is nice and it keeps the curl well. No flaking with this formula, so that's a plus. I don't really like the brush though. It's another one that I find to be too stiff and it pokes my eye...lol But it's one that I think is okay :-)
$7.24




This one is one of my top mascaras. :-) Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion in Very Black. My only gripe with this mascara is the brush. It's exactly like the original Cover Girl Lash Blast (in the orange tube), it's big and fat with small stiff bristles. Its not my favorite brush but for the results, I can live with it. This mascara lengthens, volumizes, doesn't clump and holds the curl well :-) All in all I like this mascara a lot and would def recommend it! :-)
$8.99


This one is my current favorite (even beating out my old fave below L'Oreal Voluminous). This is Maybelline's the Falsies Volum' Express in Blackest Black. LOVE this mascara!!! I've been using this almost every day since I got it. The brush is curved which I love and it's super flexible. The formula is great, no clumps, holds a curl, lengthens, volumizes...the whole shabang! It truly lives up to its name "the Falsies". The one thing I look for in a mascara above all else is length and this mascara delivers! Def a must have!!! :-)
$7.77


Last but not least is one of my all time faves! L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black. I'd heard both good and bad reviews on this mascara and I finally got it to see for myself...and I fell in love with it. I've had it for about a month and a half now. It lengthens my lashes ridiculously :-) The volume is also great. It holds a curl very well and I haven't had any issues with clumping or flaking. It drys fairly quickly which can be good or bad depending on how many coats you usually do. I find that with this mascara I only need one coat so I don't mind the fast drying. Its a pro for me because I don't have to worry about it getting on my lid if I look up. All in all I really love this mascara and think its another must-have!
$7.49

So that's it for my mascara review. Hopefully this was helpful to you :-) Keep in mind these are MY opinions and everyone will have different opinions and results when using these products. I'll be posting this as a YT video soon so look out for that. :-)

1 comment:

  1. L'Oreal Telescopic in Carbon Black is my favorite, definitely better than their voluminous.

    ReplyDelete